During today's press conference, which was held at the Śląski Stadium in Chorzów, few organizational changes in SEC series have been presented. One thing is sure - this year's series will go down in history!
Conference was taken at the legendary place for Polish speedway and sport in general - Śląski Stadium in Chorzów. Final round of SEC, on 15th of September will be a big comeback (after 15 years) to this venue. Preparations to this event have been moving full steam ahead. Organizers announced that 16 thousands tickets have already been sold.
- One week after another show how fast time is going. So far, we have sold 16 thousands tickets, which we see as a good result - Jan Konikiewicz, vice-president of One Sport.
Press conference was also visited by a special guest - Individual World Champion from 1973 - Jerzy Szczakiel, who got a warm welcome from other guests, who are looking forward to see the next Pole at the highest step of the podium in Euro Championship.
- Śląski Stadium is mostly associated with football and speedway. It was here, where Jerzy Szczakiel reached for gold in the Individual World Championship - first gold for Poland ever. We keep our fingers crossed for Jarosław Hampel, who's coming back after a serious injury. He's a great example of determination and persistance while reaching your goals. One Sport have been proving that Polish company can organize big-time events not only in our country, but are also a serious international parter - Ryszard Czarnecki, MEP and honorary patron of TAURON Speedway Euro Championship.
Vice-minister of Energy - Grzegorz Tobiaszewski - special guest at the press conference, was really glad of the fact that Śląski will once again witness bikes' roar.
- I would really like to share my gratitude for an idea to bring back speedway to the Śląski Stadium. Fans' dreams, who have been counting to watch live speedway here, have been finally fulfilled. Silesia is a historic place for Poland and Polish independence.
Right at the beginning of press conference, a historic decision for Euro Championship, was announced - it will be the first time ever when European Championship got a title sponsor - TAURON company.
- We are really happy to support a great event of speedway's comeback, after 15 years, to Śląski Stadium. Silesia is an area of our distribution, so we count on a good cooperation and our brand's promotion. Speedway at Śląski is a great event, which perfectly fits into celebrating Polish independece and our appearance in this meeting is a perfect contribution - Marek Wadomski, Vice-Chairman of Board TAURON Energia S.A
- For us - One Sport, this year is a special one, because after 15 years of break, we're bringing speedway back to this legendary stadium and for the first time in history, we managed to obtain a title sponsor for the series. We're starting it in 2 weeks in Gniezno and I can assure you, it will be an exceptional season with many interesting sport accents. Line up looks really impressive - Karol Lejman, President of One Sport.
This year's line up has changed slightly - 15 permanent riders were joined by Robert Lambert, who's replaced Artem Laguta, as a wild card's holder. This season, SEC winner will lift an exceptional cup, which is the heaviest in the motosport's history - it weighs 17 kg.
- In recent days, Artem Laguta has withdrawn from SEC series and a change was made - Robert Lamber joined the line up. We're trying to expand speedway map and not closing any doors of any countries, thanks to which, this line up is the strongest ever - f.e. we've got a big comeback of double Euro Champion - Emil Sayfutdinov - Jan Konikiewicz said.
- I think that lifting this trophy won't be any problem, however reaching for it will be a way harder, because of such a strong line up, which will surely guarantee a high sport level. I will do my best to lift this cup and representing my country has always been a great honor for me - Jarosław Hampel added.
The great final in Chorzów will be a great chance to celebrate 100 years of Poland's independence.
"Independent" program is an initiative, which is about to connect many events, who will let us celebrate regaining our independence. For many Poles, sport is a very important element to show their patriotic feelings. We would like to thank TAURON company for supporting such important events for Poles - Kamil Wnuk, Press Officer of "Independent" program.
Starting numbers well also drawn, for the first SEC round, coming on June 23rd in Gniezno.
1. #100 Andreas Jonsson (Sweden)
2. #66 Leon Madsen (Denmark)
3. #89 Emil Sayfutdinov (Russia)
4. #505 Robert Lambert (Great Britain)
5. #25 Peter Kildemand (Denmark)
6. #507 Krzysztof Kasprzak (Poland)
7. #225 Vaclav Milik (Czech Republic)
8. #33 Jarosław Hampel (Poland)
9. #744 Kai Huckenbeck (Germany)
10. Wild Card
11. #444 Josef Franc (Czech Republic)
12. #91 Andrey Kudryashov (Russia)
13. #129 Andzejs Lebedevs (Latvia)
14. #777 Piotr Pawlicki (Poland)
15. #85 Antonio Lindbaeck (Sweden)
16. #155 Mikkel Michelsen (Denmark)